Backwoods Home Magazine

Backwoods Home Magazine - practical ideas for self-reliant living
A Webcomic about Freedom

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Alaska-versary

Alaska-versary, that is what we call April 5th in this household.

Yes, that's right folks we have made it a full year! Believe it or not it has been a full 365 days since we arrived here in the Great White North, after an extremely long 5 day trek of 2600 miles.

We have survived our first winter, we are in full fledged BREAK-UP (The term for the nasty sandy, muddy, snow and wet mess that ensues after 6 months (yes 6 months of a few feet of compacted snow and ice on the ground). Although we did get a light dusty of snow today.

Oh, how our lives have changed. In so many ways I can't even begin to describe here, so I won't other then to say, that I am not the same woman today, that I was when I left Washington.

Hopefully a change for the better.

I was almost in tears to see the Washington Licence plates in our entry way and no longer on the truck. I have so long identified my self as being a Washingtonian, that it is almost painful to identify my self as anything else. I have noticed few people describe themselves as being "Alaskan".They all seem to have come from some other state. I think that might have to due with such a huge military population( at least here in our area with our 2 bases). It's a state of less then 700,000 people, but yet TWICE the size of Texas.

So unique. So different. So Alaska.


Much Love to all, Jessica

1 comment:

S. said...

Wow, it's hard to believe that it's already been a whole year!

Happy Alaska-Versary!