Backwoods Home Magazine

Backwoods Home Magazine - practical ideas for self-reliant living
A Webcomic about Freedom

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Life this week

We have had lots going here this past week.

Well last monday there was tons of craziness at work due to President Bush's visit and speech on his way to the Olympic Games. We had to stay at work so we couldn't attend the speech, but we had lots of fun watching Air Force One, it was on the tarmac on the other side of the street for our parking lot. But so cool to see and so HUGE.

We have been having fun watching the Olympics together as a family.Swimming and Gymnastics has been the favs. That US Swimming team is something, especially Phelps.

Syd told me that she not only wants Gymnastics lessons, but has added swimming lessons to that list. So we will have to see what we can do there. One at a time most likely.

But the biggest news of all is my new job. I still work at Eielson Air Force Base in the dining hall, but am know officially the Night Shift Supervisor. So I will now be working 8pm to 5 am. But salaried ( the steady paycheck will be awesome) and have my medical paid in full. Still will have to pay for the rest of the family.But we haven't had coverage in 3 years so that will be good. And the job has other good benefits as well.

We are also purchasing a pickup this friday. It's 25 years old, but has less miles than our SUV which is a 2004. We have only had 1 car for 3 years now. So it will be nice for us to each have our own to drive. And no longer have to take each other to work when we need the car. The car mine and the truck his. We are getting a camper top with it. It's big enough to sleep all of us and in decent shape.Which will get well used in future hunting and fishing trips.

I also got pulled over for the first( a shock I know as I tend to have a lead foot)
while driving on base on my way to work. My headlight has been acting up and was out, but they thankfully only gave me a warning. Tickets on base get way more survive than others, and I have been told once you get either 2 or 3 you ability to drive on base gets suspended for at least a month.That would make it tough to get to work. You can't talk on cellphones while driving on base either.

And then to top it all off as we were watching the Olympics this evening I heard Syd scream. So I go to the window and there they were about 8 feet from our living room window, 3 moose. 3!!! One was huge and 2 smaller. And of course the window was messing up the flash on my camera. So we went outside and it was just dark enough that my pictures wouldn't come out. So the girls and I stood and watched them for a few minutes as they slowly walked across our street, eating leaves and stopping to stare at us every few moments. It was so cool.

On another note we have been renting alot of movies lately.Due to our busy schedules, cost of gas (paid 4.36 a gallon yesterday), lack of cable,and recent trip we have been spending our time with regular trips to Blockbuster.Anywho, some we have enjoyed lately include: The Missing, Reign Over Me, Fool's Gold, I Now Pronouce You Chuck and Larry and The Bucket List.

Well,I guess that concludes my novel for now.

May God Bless You, Jess




No comments: